Travel and Expense Management
Before you make domestic or international travel arrangements, please review the university travel policies. Always check with your business manager to ensure you follow your unit's travel policies and preferences.
- Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense Policy 40.4.1 (PDF)
- Rutgers University Faculty and Staff International Travel Policy 40.4.2 (PDF)
Departments, individuals, and authorized approvers each have important travel responsibilities.
It is the department’s responsibility to ensure that employees traveling on behalf of the university are aware of and will abide by the Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense Policy 40.4.1 and Rutgers University Faculty and Staff International Travel Policy 40.4.2. The department should:
- ensure compliance with the university travel policies;
- exercise prudent judgment in approving travel-related expenses;
- ensure that any travel expenses incurred are:
- directly work-related; and
- obtained by the most economical means.
Employees traveling on university business are responsible for:
- complying with university policies;
- being familiar with and complying with the university travel policies;
- securing prior authorization for travel;
- verifying that all travel arrangements are confirmed prior to departure;
- selecting travel options that are most economical to the university;
- spending the university's funds prudently. Travel and entertainment-related expenses will be paid by the university if they are deemed to be reasonable, appropriately documented, properly authorized, and within the guidelines of the university travel policy 40.4.1;
- exercising the same care in incurring expenses and accomplishing the purposes of the travel that a prudent person would exercise if traveling on personal business. Excess costs, circuitous routes, delays, or luxury accommodations unnecessary or unjustified in the performance of official university business travel are not acceptable;
- paying any excess costs and any additional expenses incurred for your personal preference or convenience;
- ensuring that expense reports are prepared and submitted in a timely manner with appropriate receipts and required documentation.
All university travel requires pre-trip approval and an employee cannot approve his or her own travel.
The authorized approver:
- should have authorization over the account being charged;
- cannot be the individual seeking reimbursement;
- if possible, should be the traveler's direct supervisor;
- should not be asked to approve the travel or entertainment expenses for an individual to whom they report; and
- can only approve those expense reports within their authority.
The authorized approver must verify that expenses and expense reports meet the following criteria:
- Travel and entertainment expenses are incurred while conducting university business.
- The expenses are necessary and consistent with university policies and the university travel policy.
- The information contained on the expense report and in the attached documentation is accurate.
- Expenses meet any and all sponsor guidelines, if applicable, and the expenditure is charged to the proper account(s).