All domestic and international travel is prohibited until further notice.
Any exceptions to the above require prior approval from the Chancellor-CBO Office and CFO Office.
Any travel that receives exception approval MUST be booked through a Rutgers approved travel agency
International travel that has been pre-approved MUST be registered through Risk Management
Any travel that is not pre-approved or not booked with one of the approved agencies will not be considered Rutgers-related business and will not be reimbursed.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Travel expenses can include:
- airline and rail tickets, lodging, meals (excluding alcohol)
- rental vehicles, ground transportation (e.g., car service, taxis, shuttles, and van service)
- tolls and automobile mileage reimbursement for personal vehicles.
- airport parking - search Find Products and Services and search keyword "parking" to find an airport parking supplier
Travelers may use personal funds for all travel-related purchases when traveling on Rutgers business. Travelers are encouraged to purchase directly from an airline or rail website as a cost containment strategy.
Travelers can access the Rutgers Expense Management system through myRutgers Portal to submit an expense report once they return from a trip.
A traveler’s expense report must include receipts for travel expenses and a complete business purpose to support the use of University funds. The business purpose must clearly define the benefit to the University. Learn how to accurately report travel expenses to request reimbursement.
Travelers are encouraged to add their bank account information in the Expense Management system. Travelers can expect to receive reimbursement within 48 to 72 hours after imputing their bank account information. Reimbursement is contingent on the business unit and the approval of the traveler’s expense report. Travelers are notified of any problems or issues with their reports through the system, should problems or issues arise. Travelers should be sure to follow up on the status of their expense reports after submission, to ensure that no additional action is required.
A check request for certain expenses do not require the involvement of a purchasing agent in RU Marketplace. You must supply supporting documents and an explanation of all charges.
- request a check to pay for conference registration fees and hotel room reservations under $5,000 for individual staff members staying less than 10 nights
- use a purchase order to make a deposit for a hotel room reservation
- use check requests for non-employee (student) expenses
Travelers who do not want to use personal funds can use the direct billing option for booking airline or rail tickets. Travelers can purchase airline and rail tickets through one of our preferred travel agencies by completing an online travel order form. The cost of the ticket, including the travel agency's service fee, will be charged to the unit account.