- All domestic and international travel is prohibited until further notice.
- For faculty, staff and students, any exceptions to the above require prior approval with the appropriate DocuSign Forms for Review Submittal. As of September 12, 2021, new forms with fewer levels of review are available. Please access the new DocuSign forms through EVPAA Travel Guidance Forms
- For local travel (NJ, NY, PA, CT or DE) and non-employee travel (candidates, guest speakers, consultants, etc.), the Local and Non-Employee Travel Request Form must be completed
- Any travel that receives exception approval MUST be booked through a Rutgers-approved travel agency
- International travel that has been pre-approved MUST be registered through Risk Management
Any travel that is not pre-approved and not booked with an approved travel agency will not be considered Rutgers-related business and will not be reimbursed.
For guidance in identifying appropriate approvers for DocuSign forms, please see Travel Approver Listing.
If you have any questions, please contact RUTravel@finance.rutgers.edu.
Reimbursable travel expenses can include:
- Local rail (NJ Transit ) tickets
- Per Diem for Meals (excluding alcohol)
- Rental vehicles, ground transportation (e.g., car service, taxis, shuttles, and van service)
- Tolls and automobile mileage reimbursement for personal vehicles
- Parking - search Find Products and Services and search keyword "parking" to find an airport parking supplier
Travelers can access the Rutgers Expense Management system through myRutgers Portal to submit an expense report once they return from a trip.
A traveler’s expense report must include receipts for travel expenses and a complete business purpose to support the use of University funds. The business purpose must clearly define the benefit to the University. Learn how to accurately report travel expenses to request reimbursement.
Travelers are encouraged to add their bank account information in the Expense Management system. Travelers can expect to receive reimbursement within 48 to 72 hours after imputing their bank account information. Reimbursement is contingent on the business unit and the approval of the traveler’s expense report. Travelers are notified of any problems or issues with their reports through the system, should problems or issues arise. Travelers should be sure to follow up on the status of their expense reports after submission, to ensure that no additional action is required.
A check request may be used for certain expenses that do not require the involvement of a purchasing agent in RU Marketplace. Provide supporting documents and an explanation of all charges.
- hotel reservations (except for conference sponsored hotels) must be made through preferred travel agency
- request a check to pay for conference registration fees and hotel room reservations under $5,000 for individuals staying less than 10 nights
- use a purchase order to make a deposit for a hotel room reservation