Frequently Asked Questions

Purchasing FAQs

Does a supplier need to be in RU Marketplace before you begin the requisition process?

  Yes. If you need to add a new supplier, you will need to send an invite through the Supplier Portal under MyApps.

Do you have to use a contracted preferred supplier?

No, but it is strongly encouraged that you use the University’s contracted suppliers as the first choice of suppliers. In general, you should use the University's contracted suppliers for purchases. The University’s commitments to these suppliers grant quantity pricing, which benefits all units. When you buy through these supplier contracts, you generally do not have to obtain additional quotations, or use the competitive bid process.

It is encouraged to contact the appropriate University Procurement Services Help Desk with any questions about purchasing  products from non-contracted suppliers.

How can I find out which Procurement Services staff member is my liaison?

View the liaisons in Key Contacts or contact University Procurement Services Help Desk for assistance.

How long will it take to process my requisition?

The time it takes to process your requisition depends on the nature of the items you are purchasing and how long it takes your unit to work through the approval process in RU Marketplace. Once your unit approves the requisition, you may track the status by typing your requisition number search field on the top right  of the RU Marketplace page.

What do I do if a supplier gives me an agreement to sign?

Do not sign any agreement. Units do not have authority to sign supplier agreements on behalf of the University.  Agreements requiring signature must be forwarded to University Procurement Services for signature; the corresponding requisition number should also be included. 

What is the dollar threshold for competitive bids?

See Section V in the Procurement and Payment Policy 20.1.11 (PDF) for details about competitive bidding.

What happens if there are no competitive sources available for my unit’s purchase, or if there is a reason why my purchase cannot be bid?

When there are no competitive sources available, the unit must complete a Wavier of Bid Request.  

A supplier contacted my unit saying they have not received my purchase order. Should my unit resend the purchase order?

Do not attempt to resend a purchase order, as it may result in a duplicate order. Instead, please look at the history of the purchase order in RU Marketplace to ensure that Rutgers has sent the purchase order. If so, and the supplier still has not received it, contact University Procurement Services Help Desk.

My unit ordered items some time ago and has yet to receive them. What should my unit do?

Contact the supplier via phone or email to inquire about delivery status of the order. Please be advised if this supplier does not have a contract with the University, the unit must contact the supplier for all inquiries regarding the purchase. If there appears to be a problem with a University contracted supplier order, contact University Procurement Services Help Desk for further assistance.  

If the supplier sends my unit an invoice, is it okay if I forward the invoice to the Accounts Payable team for processing?

Units should not receive nor forward  invoices to Accounts Payable on the supplier’s behalf. Purchase orders clearly state that it is the supplier’s responsibility to send invoices to Accounts Payable at

Is Rutgers University tax exempt?

Yes, University purchases are exempt from the payment of New Jersey sales and use tax. Contact Tax Services if a supplier questions the University's exemption policy.

Amazon FAQs
Can I return unused gift cards?

You cannot return unused gift cards. 

Do gift cards lose their value over time?

Gift Cards will expire after 12 months

Accounts Payable FAQs

Where should invoices be sent?

Suppliers must send invoices via email to:

What is the difference between scholarships, fellowships, prizes & awards and non-qualifying scholarships?

Please visit Guidelines for Student Award Payments for information on these types of monetary awards.

When should I use a check request?

There are many uses for check requests. Visit check requests to learn when to process a check request, and to learn more about the required supporting documentation. For specifics on the process, visit Initiate a Check Request

Are reimbursements processed through my paycheck taxed?

No, there is no tax implication, unless the reimbursement is for a relocation.  Please visit Process an Employee Relocation Reimbursement for more information. 

How do I apply for a UPS CampusShip account?

See the UPS supplier page within Find Products and Services.

How do I complete a UPS Airbill so that I am billed correctly?

See the UPS supplier page within Find Products and Services.

Travel and Expense FAQs

My unit has its own policy regarding reimbursement of travel expenses, is this allowed by the University?

At minimum, all Rutgers units are required to follow Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense Policy 40.4.1, however individual units may have more restrictions.

Is there a different policy for visitors?

No, the policy is the same. Please see Travel, Travel Incidentals, and Meal Expense Policy 40.4.1. Please also visit How to Expense for students and guests to learn about the process for reimbursement. 

Does the reimbursement requester still have to physically sign the expense report?

No. Please visit Booking Travel for more information on expense reports.

Can I be reimbursed for my travel related expenses before I return from my trip?

No. Please visit Reporting Travel Expenses for more information on reimbursement of travel related expenses.

May I request reimbursement for a passport or visa for foreign travel, if required?

Yes. if required for business.   See other qualifying expenses for reimbursement.  

Are the costs of vaccinations and immunizations reimbursable if they are required for University business travel?

Yes, if required for business.  Please visit Reporting Expenses for more information.

What receipts are required to support the expenses?

Please visit Reporting Expenses to learn what receipts are required.

What if I lose my receipt?

Prepare a Lost Receipt Certification Form (DOC) and electronically attach it to the expense report.
Please visit Reporting Expenses for more information.


What if my receipt has someone else’s name on it?

Travelers should obtain a memo from the person named on the receipt authorizing reimbursement. Please visit Reporting Expenses for more information.

Can I be reimbursed for telephone calls while traveling?

Yes. Please visit Reporting Expenses for more information.

My conference begins on the 10th of the month and ends on the 17th. Do I have to fly out on the 10th and return on the 17th?

No. Rutgers allows for one day pre-business and one day post-business date (e,g, in this case, you may fly to the location on the 9th and return on the 18th).  Please visit Reporting Expenses for more information.

What if I want to take my family or a friend on my business trip?

Any additional cost is considered a personal expense. Please visit Travel Responsibilities for more information.

What if I combine personal travel with my business travel?

Any additional costs resulting from combining personal travel with University business travel are the responsibility of the traveler. Please visit Travel Responsibilities for more information.

How do I convert foreign currency to U.S. Dollars?

The Oanda currency converter tool should be used when actual currency exchange receipts or credit card statements are not available. Please visit International Travel for more information.

My unit has an immediate need for equipment that will cost several hundred dollars. Will I be reimbursed if I use my personal credit card?

The University limits reimbursement of personal funds used to purchase goods or services to a maximum of $500, including sales tax and shipping, or software. Purchases in excess of this amount must be processed through University Procurement Services.  

Can I use a personal credit card for the purchase of air or rail tickets through the preferred travel agencies?

No, airfare and rail (Amtrak) tickets are pre-paid by the University. This eliminates the need for travelers to wait until they return from a trip to submit charges for reimbursement.

How will my unit be billed University-paid travel charges?

Your department will be billed according to the account and amount indicated on each travel form.

Are gift cards reimbursable?

No, however the unit may order gift cards through Blackhawk.

FAQs For Suppliers

How can I find out which category manager handles my commodity?

Please view the key contacts or contact University Procurement Services Help Desk for assistance.

Are there preferred suppliers?

University Procurement Services establishes supplier contracts that include group and cooperative purchasing agreements.

How does the competitive bidding process work?

Please visit Our Buying Process to learn how the competitive bidding process works.

What are the factors taken into consideration when determining an award?

Supplier awards are based on the most responsible and responsive qualified bidder who meets all specifications, terms and conditions of the bid proposal.

Some factors considered in addition to price may be quality, adherence to specifications, delivery, service and warranty, depending on the intended use of the commodity or service. Bids are awarded based on price only when quality, delivery, etc. are equal.

The University reserves the right to waive technicalities or minor discrepancies in any bid, if waiving would serve the best interest of the University.

How will I know if I'm getting an award as the result of my bid submission?

Bidders are notified in writing via an intent to award, or notice of award letter, usually within 120 days after the bid has been publicly opened. The award is final unless the University Procurement Services Chief Procurement Officer determines that a bid protest merits a stay or holding of the contract award. The award notice or intent to award is not a notice to proceed. The bidder who receives the award cannot proceed without a University purchase order. 


What may cause my bid or proposal to be rejected?

We may reject any bid which does not meet, or substantially alters, the specifications, bid terms, or conditions of a proposal.

How does a supplier get on a bid list?

Suppliers must be invited by the units and/or University Procurement Services to participate.  

Generally, what is the term of most contracts?

Most Rutgers term contracts are for a period of three years with the possibility of two one-year extensions. 

Where does a construction company, architect or engineer find out about potential opportunities?

Major renovation projects of $2 million or more, new construction, selection of architects and real estate purchases are handled through University Facilities and Capital Planning.

Are pre-bid or pre-proposal conferences required?

No. If the requesting unit and Procurement decide that a pre-bid or pre-proposal conference is necessary, the RFP solicitation will clearly state the information and requirements including the date, time and place of the event. 

Is bonding required on all bids?

The University does not normally require bid bonds. The University, however, may call for performance bonds, and may also solicit alternative bonding methods. In the event of default of the contractor, the University may procure the articles or services from other sources and hold the contractor responsible for excess costs incurred.

What are the insurance requirements?

Standard insurance requirements are set forth in the Standard Terms and Conditions.

Who is responsible for issuing and approving payments?

Suppliers are responsible for submitting invoices.  All invoices must be submitted directly to Accounts Payable. If the invoice does not have a purchase order number, the payment will not be processed. 

What are the payment terms?

Rutgers University standard payment terms are based on the payment method and are from the invoice date, unless stated otherwise. 

Every effort is made to take advantage of any prompt payment discount (e.g. 2% 10 days) that a supplier offers.

I currently do business with Rutgers, and am active in RU Marketplace. Do I need to complete a registration in PaymentWorks?

Not at this time.

I am receiving an honorarium. Do I need to complete a registration?

An honorarium recipient is required to be registered as a supplier in PaymentWorks. Therefore, the recipient will need to complete and submit a registration.

I am set up in PaymentWorks/RU Marketplace. Must units to do business with me?

If you are a registered supplier, all units at Rutgers can do business with you.

Once set up in PaymentWorks/RU Marketplace, am I a contracted supplier?

Once set up in PaymentWorks/RU Marketplace, you become an active supplier to everyone in the Rutgers community. 

My company offers a discount. Can I decrease my net terms?
I would like to change my payment method. What do I need to do?

Please contact the University Procurement Services Help Desk for guidance.

I registered in PaymentWorks but I have more than two remit to addresses. Can I add more?

Yes, in PaymentWorks you can add two fulfillment/remit to addresses at a time.

I am registered in PaymentWorks and I want to remove an address. Can do I do that?

PaymentWorks is a self service portal in which a supplier is responsible for updating, adding and deleting company information.

I am registered in PaymentWorks and I want to attach an insurance form. Do I attach it in PaymentWorks?

No, at this time all insurance and supporting documentations should be submitted to the unit that you are collaborating with.

What does an existing RU Marketplace supplier do when a record update is needed?

Existing RU Marketplace supplier updates will still need to be submitted via the RU Marketplace Supplier Maintenance Form by the unit.

Supplier Onboarding and Maintenance FAQs

What are the reasons for supplier rejection?


Suppliers are rejected for the following reasons: 

  1. Debarred supplier
  2. Duplicate supplier
  3. Supplier whose good or service is already contracted with the University; look on our Find Products section 
  4. Supplier is a Rutgers employee 
  5. Incorrect supplier information
  6. Personalized message is directed to anyone other than the supplier

If a supplier email needs to be resubmitted, you will need to create a new invitation request using a different email.

Can I register on behalf of the supplier (including speakers)?

No, the Rutgers community no longer has the ability to submit documentation and information on behalf of the supplier; registration needs to be completed by the supplier.


How do I invite a supplier?

Invite the supplier through PaymentWorks; see the job aid for Inviting a Supplier.  Any supplier may be invited, but the request will first need to go through a University Procurement Services approval process; supplier requests may be rejected based on various factors. 

My invite is undeliverable. What should I do?

You will need to re-submit the invitation using an alternate email.

Is there a different process for foreign suppliers?

Partly.  Prior to registration through the PaymentWorks system, foreign individuals must contact Tax Services to register with Glacier.   For foreign entities, the process stays the same (no need to register with Glacier).

Can you tell me the status of my supplier's onboarding?

Please see the job aid for Checking Status of a Supplier.  The turnaround time depends on the complexity of the supplier AND how quickly the supplier is able to submit correct /complete registration and documentation, along with the backlog of applications at the time. 

Are individuals with payments processed via our Non-PO upload process required to register in PaymentWorks?

Individuals who are paid via non-PO upload submission are not included in PaymentWorks. 

Can I submit an invitation to more than one email?

No, PaymentWorks allows one contact per supplier.  The supplier can update that contact/add information after onboarding.

Do I need to invite an existing supplier if they are not in PaymentWorks?

Yes. Existing active suppliers not in PaymentWorks must be invited to register in PaymentWorks.

I have done business with a supplier previously, but now they are being rejected in PaymentWorks. Why is that?

The previously activated supplier may no longer qualify as a Rutgers supplier.

How are supplier updates handled?

All supplier updates will be managed through PaymentWorks. Existing active suppliers not in PaymentWorks must be invited to PaymentWorks to update their information.

Suppliers in PaymentWorks can access their PaymentWorks profile and manage and update their information.

How to I know if my supplier is in PaymentWorks or RU Marketplace?

 To check for supplier status in PaymentWorks, see the PaymentWorks job aid for assistance. For RU Marketplace, you will need to check RU Marketplace.  If you see them, they are an approved supplier and can be used for shopping.

If a student needs to be paid, do they get set up in PaymentWorks?

It depends on a few things:

1) Payment type (is this for a non-PO upload, for example)?

2) Employment status (individuals who receive a payroll check would be reimbursed via Expense Management).  

3) Individuals who are not paid via payroll or fall under the check request matrix payment types must go through PaymentWorks.


  For Rutgers payroll employees,  suppliers are paid via Expense Management.  For students 

My supplier was deactivated in RU Marketplace. Do they need to be invited via PaymentWorks?

Yes.  If you do not see your supplier in RU Marketplace, they will need to be invited to PaymentWorks.

What happens when a supplier's federal ID number changes?

An invitation request through PaymentWorks will need to be created and sent for approval.  However, if you have been alerted that only a supplier's name is changing (but the federal ID stays the same), you will need to submit a Supplier Maintenance Request Form to update the name (for suppliers onboarded prior to September 16th).  If the supplier was onboarded on September 16th and later, the change will need to be made in PaymentWorks.  

What if I have a technical difficulty?

If you have technical issues with PaymentWorks, contact the PaymentWorks Help Center.

I am an employee of Rutgers, but cannot access Canvas. What should I do?

If you do no have access, please email


I am an employee of Rutgers, but when I click on the PaymentWorks tile I get an internal error massage. What do I do?
  • Go to:
  • Click on “Manage Email Addressed” on the left panel
  • Log in with your NetID and Password
  • In the “Official Rutgers Email Address” section, add your Rutgers email address and Click on “Submit Request”
  • Wait 2-3 hours until Email address is populated , then try to login to Supplier Portal (PaymentWorks)


How is ICED handled in this process?

ICED is not handled in the supplier onboarding process. ICED forms will still need to be attached, by the units, when a requisition is submitted.

What is Glacier? When and how do I access it?

Glacier is Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance System that foreign visitors/individuals use to provide their immigrant and tax data. Contact the Rutgers Tax Department at 848-445-2054 for assistance.

Discretionary Spending Policies FAQs

Where can I obtain the reports for Purchase Order Commitment?

Reports for Open Commitments - Report 407 - Open and Closed Commitment displays supplier, concatenated chart of accounts segments, purchase order number, invoiced amount, status, and balances for the general ledger. Select “Line Status of Open” in the parameters to see open commitments only. Report 505 - Project Cost, Revenue, Budget, Commitments displays open commitments for projects

How does a purchase requisition or order affect the budget?

Purchase Orders and Commitments - The terms “commitment” and “encumbrance” are used interchangeably. Both terms mean a purchase order (PO) has been created to earmark funds for a specified purpose. When reviewing a report in the financial management system, the Budget-Actuals-Commitments is the available balance. Showing commitments on financial reports is a tool you can use to determine how much money remains on a PO that can be spent. The commitment will show on the project or general ledger string until the PO is invoiced against or closed out. If a PO is closed out before the end of a fiscal year, then the commitment will be reversed and the hold against the available balance will be removed. POs do not close out at the end of a fiscal year, which means commitments roll over provided that there is a balance on the PO.

Open POs and Funding - Commitments are a hold against an available PO balance. An open PO is a commitment and will lessen the available balance on a project string or general ledger string. Committed funds are not available for use for other purposes because they are set aside for payment of goods or services already ordered.

Commitments and Budgets - Closing a commitment does not change your budget amount. If you have a commitment at the end of a fiscal year and goods and services are not received before the fiscal year closes, then you should work with your department to secure funding for the following fiscal year as needed.

Open Commitments - All requisitions that are submitted for approval in RU Marketplace show as an open commitment in Oracle. When a requisition is approved and becomes a valid PO (RU Marketplace), then the requisition commitment is replaced with a PO commitment (Oracle). After an invoice is processed against a PO, the PO commitment is replaced with a charge to the Project or general ledger string. Once a month, the Controller’s Office manually removes open requisition commitments (Oracle) if the requisition was approved, withdrawn, rejected or returned. A cancel/close request can be submitted (RU Marketplace) to resolve a commitment issue if a PO number has been assigned.

Is the university planning to audit memberships, subscriptions and software licenses?

These categories are opportunities to realize savings and prevent future expenses due to software license non-compliance. In calendar year 2021, Audit and Advisory Services (AAS) will conduct three, unit-level, IT security and support audits to look at software licensing as a component of the audit. At the universitywide level, AAS works closely with the Office of Information Technology’s (OIT) Governance Risk and Compliance unit to develop a strategy for identifying software licensing at the unit level and partnering with University Procurement Services and OIT to track and monitor discretionary spending in this area.

What is in scope and out of scope for discretionary spending?

The discretionary spending approach is designed to reduce operating costs to meet Rutgers University budget challenges by focusing on incurring only necessary, appropriate, and reasonable expenditures for university’s mission. All Rutgers faculty and staff are being asked to exercise a continuous commitment to fiscally responsible spending​, use sound judgement to help maintain business operations and programs that are financially sustainable, and adhere to discretionary spending guidelines.

Discretionary Spending In-Scope: An expenditure that is not considered necessary, appropriate and/or reasonable, and can be avoided. This assessment is based on sound judgment by requestors, requisitioners and approvers within each unit to make fiscally responsible decisions about optional/non-essential purchases.

Discretionary Spending Out-of-Scope: Costs that are unavoidable, required for units to function, and/or must be incurred for mission-critical operations.

What types of purchase will require discretionary spending approval?

Each unit may have its own internal purchase review and approval process prior to entering a purchase in RU Marketplace. Please consult your unit’s business manager(s) or Vice Chancellor’s office. A Discretionary Spending Approver has been added in RU Marketplace. Requisitions that meet all four conditions below are routed to the discretionary spending approver(s) for the assigned UDO after the department approver approves.


Is Natural Account code 5, 6, 7 (expense and internal purchase order account)
Is not Project code 5, 6, 7, 8 (endowment, grant, gift, capital project)
Is not Fund Type 360 (educational opportunity fund)
Is $5,000 and above


An escalation process has been established between the discretionary spending approver, University Procurement Services approver, Chief Business Officer, Chief Procurement Officer, and Chief Financial Officer.