General Travel Questions

1. What forms of payment are available for my travel expenses?

Learn more about booking travel and paying for your travel expenses.

2. If I use personal funds for my expenses, how do I get reimbursed?

An expense report must be completed through the financial system accessible in Oracle Expense and approved. The report must include a complete business purpose to support the use of university funds. Documentation as defined by the policy must accompany the expense report. Learn how to accurately report your travel expenses to request reimbursement.

3. What do I need to include with the business purpose for reimbursement request?

The business purpose must clearly define the benefit to the University, and include the who, what, when, where and why of the request.

4. My department has its own policy, is this allowed by the University?

More restrictive travel or business expense policies may be specified by the deans, directors, and department heads of individual schools, divisions, departments, and/or by the funding source.

5. Is there a different policy for visitors?

Reimbursement of travel expenses incurred by visitors is subject to the same policy that pertains to University employees. The department is responsible for informing the visitor of the University's expense reimbursement policy prior to him or her incurring expenses.

Note: Non-employees are paid via check request.   

6. Does the requester still have to physically sign the expense report?

No, electronic signature will be attached to the expense report when submitted through our financial system accessible through Oracle Expense.

  • Log in to myRutgers portal
  • Click the Cornerstone tab
  • Open the Expense Management app under the Finance section

7. Can I be reimbursed prior to my travel for expenses incurred?

No, you will need to wait until you return to request reimbursement.

Note: Submitting a check request for conference registrations or using one of the travel agencies, after submitting an approver Travel Order form, reduces the amount of personal funds put out by the employee. 

8. If I need a passport or visa for foreign travel, may I request reimbursement?

Expenses related to a visa or passport required for University business travel are reimbursable expenses.

9. Are the costs of vaccinations and immunizations reimbursable if they are required for University business travel?

Yes, attach original receipts to your expense report.

10. What receipts are required to support the expenses?

An original receipt is required for any expense in excess of $50.  All business meal expenses require an original receipt regardless of the amount. Policy defines a receipt as an original document itemizing the good(s) or service(s) purchased. The receipt must provide a named payee and date that confirms payment has been made for a stated purchase. Per diem does not require receipts.

11. What if I lose my receipt?

Contact the vendor to request a duplicate receipt.  If that is unsuccessful then prepare a Lost Receipt Certification Form (DOC) and attach it electronically to your expense report. This form is required for all duplicate or lost receipts and must be accompanied by proof of payment and the signatures of the requester and the person approving the expense.

12. What if my receipt has someone else’s name on it?

Obtain a memo from the person named on the receipt authorizing reimbursement to you. The memo must also indicate that the person named on the receipt (and writing the memo) will not seek reimbursement from the university.

13. Can I be reimbursed for telephone calls while traveling?

You can be reimbursed for all business-related phone calls, but are limited to one personal call, of reasonable length, per day.

14. My conference begins on the 10th of the month and ends on the 17th. Do I have to fly out on the 10th and return on the 17th?

No, the university allows for one travel day prior to the event and one travel day after the event. Any additional days before or after the event require a University business purpose or they are considered personal and the expenses are the responsibility of the traveler. Extending the stay is allowed when the airfare savings exceed the cost of lodging and meals for a pre- or post-business period. Documentation showing the airfare with and without the extended stay and the hotel/meal costs for the additional days must be provided to support the request.

15. What if I want to take my family or a friend on my business trip?

Any additional cost is your own personal expense.

16. What if I combine personal travel with my business travel?

Any additional costs resulting from combining personal travel with University business travel are the responsibility of the traveler. You must obtain a quote for the business portion of your air travel. The quote must support the cost of direct travel to/from your business destination on your business travel dates. It is important to get this quote at the time you are making your plans and not after the trip. This documentation must then be attached to your expense report along with the actual itinerary.

17. How do I convert foreign currency to U.S. Dollars?

The Oanda currency converter tool should be used when actual currency exchange receipts or credit card statement are not available. The exchange rate for the date the expense was incurred must be used for conversion.

18. Equipment costing several hundred dollars is needed immediately by the department. Will I be reimbursed if I use my personal credit card?

The University limits reimbursement of personal funds used to purchase goods or services to a maximum of $500, including sales tax and shipping. Purchases in excess of this amount must be processed through University Procurement Services.